Monday, July 05, 2010

July 5th NDP Multicultural Standing Committee - Message From Somayya Kasani

Ref: Alberta NDP Multicultural Standing Committee meeting that is going to be held on July 5th 2010 at the AB NDP Office.

Subject: Introducing myself to all participants of NDP Provincial Multicultural Standing Committee

Hello Everyone:

I am Somayya Kasani, R/O Edmonton AB working for Alberta NDP for last three years and I have been in contact with different communities of Edmonton AB. I would like to mention here a couple of organizations that I am closely connected with.

Ankur Multicultural Association for Performing Arts is a non-profit organization. This organization recently conducted a multicultural Show on June 26, 2010 in Edmonton. The program consisted of a variety of performances from several cultures including Chinese, East Indian, Mexican and Greek as well as from the Bible.


Guest speaker, Brian Mason, MLA and Provincial New Democratic Leader, spoke briefly about the importance of multiculturalism in Alberta and thanked the Ankur Society for their valuable contributions to the cause.

I am serving in the 2010 -2011 Ankur Executive Board in the role of Vice President (Administration). My wife Vijayalakshmi Kasani and I have been active volunteers with the Ankur since 2007. We have been helping in spreading the message of multicultural cooperation and harmony among diverse people.

Secondly, I am an active member of Indian Community in Edmonton and I served Council of India Societies of Edmonton as delegate from Andhra Cultural Association during 2008 -2009. The Council of India Societies of Edmonton provides service to the Indian Community in areas such as settlement of Immigrants; safeguard the welfare of senior citizens, and counseling for vulnerable groups.

My wife and I are active members of Andhra Cultural Association, Edmonton since June 2006. I served as a Literary Secretary on the ACA Executive Board during 2007 -2008 and published a bi-annual Literary Magazine Vani – 2008 by collecting articles from its community members. Also I have collected material for designing a website for our community and my daughter Anupama Kasani designed and launched it for us.

I am a member of Edmonton Multicultural Coalition for Equity in Health and Well Being. And I am happy that Janina Strudwick who is this coalition’s co-coordinator and her colleague Dr. George Isheikwene are giving the presentations today for us.

Since I am on vacation in Santa Clara, California, I cannot make it in person this time.


SOMAYYA KASANI