Monday, May 15, 2017

This is an amazing time to be alive. I hope you make the most of it.

Bill Gates advice to new college grads - in 14 tweets

1/ New college grads often ask me for career advice. At the risk of sounding like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dug-G9xVdVs

2/ AI, energy, and biosciences are promising fields where you can make a huge impact. It's what I would do if starting out today.

3/ Looking back on when I left college, there are some things I wish I had known.

4/ E.g. Intelligence takes many different forms. It is not one-dimensional. And not as important as I used to think.

5/ I also have one big regret: When I left school, I knew little about the world’s worst inequities. Took me decades to learn.

6/ You know more than I did when I was your age. You can start fighting inequity, whether down the street or around the world, sooner.

7/ Meanwhile, surround yourself with people who challenge you, teach you, and push you to be your best self. As does for me.

8/ Like I measure my happiness by whether people close to me are happy and love me, & by the difference I make for others.

9/ If I could give each of you a graduation present, it would be this--the most inspiring book I've ever read. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Better_Angels_of_Our_Nature 

10/ shows how the world is getting better. Sounds crazy, but it’s true. This is the most peaceful time in human history.

11/ That matters because if you think the world is getting better, you want to spread the progress to more people and places.

12/ It doesn’t mean you ignore the serious problems we face. It just means you believe they can be solved.

13/ This is the core of my worldview. It sustains me in tough times and is the reason I love my work. I think it can do same for you.

14/ This is an amazing time to be alive. I hope you make the most of it.