Friday, November 03, 2006

An e-mail from a friend

WE MUST BE THE CHANGE WE WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD.
-Mahatma Gandhi


Dear Somayya Kasani,

I always enjoy your lovely messages.

New York is a very interesting place. Have you been there? The people are quite vibrant and animated; very much how they are often depicted in films. It is a very crowed place but like Japan, they know how to get around each other. I spent all of the time in Manhattan but I would have liked to visit Brooklyn and the Bronx. Perhaps another time. I was there for the Guild of Book Workers conference. I make books as well as read them. :-)

The highlight was a visit to the Museum of Biblical Art where the actual pages from the hand lettered Saint Johns Bible were on exhibit. I also do calligraphy so I was very excited to see the lettering and illumination on the pages. It took my breath away!

Thank you so much for the list of books you are reading. I will add them to my ever growing list. A couple of them sound intriguing.

I have just finished Francine Prose's READ LIKE A WRITER. It is a fabulous book about the art of writing and what it involves. I read it to enhance my reading skills and to help me understand why I like certain books. I recommend it highly. I also read a wonderful book called IN PRAISE OF SLOWNESS, written by a Canadian journalist who lives in London. You would enjoy that one as well. I am currently reading Haruki Murakami's new collection of short stories, BLIND WILLOW, WEEPING WOMAN. It is not as satisfying as his novels but I shall finish them and move on to Something else. Perhaps one of your recommendations.

I so appreciate our correspondence Somayya. I hope it continues for a long time.

With love and gratitude,
Lillian Dabney